- Astoria (JSE code: ARA) listed yesterday and traded pretty much inline with net asset value (NAV) of USD1.00. I hold and like it very much. But it could be a tough year for the stock if Rand strengthens and US markets slow.
- Balwin (JSE code: BWN) published their first set of results as a listed company, for the six months ending August. Really strong numbers but one confusing comment from management was that the second half of the year is seasonally stronger than the first. yet this is over the Christmas holidays when builders shut down and surely people are not buying houses while also buying Christmas presents?
- Pioneer (JSE code: PFG) results were confusing with the company trumpeting adjusted HEPS growth of 23%. But adjusted for what? I always use the simple diluted HEPS which was up 12% and I know exactly what it means.
- Join us on 7 December for the last JSE Power Hour of the year at the JSE. Topic is 'positioning your portfolio for 2016' and being the last function of the year we'll have drinks afterward and we've invited all the speakers from the year so you can mingle and ask questions of them.
Keith Mclachlan fund manager at Alpha Wealth
How does one become a fund manager? What are the exams and where does one start? We also sneak in a question on the Balwin results.
We Get Mail
- Matt (via Twitter)
- Can you please explain 'pre-market moves' and 'after hours trading' in US stock markets?
- I bought Steinhoff shares about a year ago and they have done really well. However, I am a bit confused now regarding the delisting from the JSE and the listing on the FSE. Does this mean I have to sell my shares? What happens if I don't sell them before they delist from the JSE? I see the deadline is 27 November.
- I've had it twice now that I've been offered shares in lieu of a cash dividend (most recently on Steinhoff). Is this a case by case decision or is there a general rule of thumb to follow? If it is case by case, is there a simple analysis process to follow for a decision?
Subscriber to our feed here or sign up for email alerts as a new show goes live or subscribe in iTunes.
JSE – The JSE is a registered trademark of the JSE Limited.
JSEDirect is an independent broadcast and is not endorsed or affiliated with, nor has it been authorised, or otherwise approved by JSE Limited. The views expressed in this programme are solely those of the presenter, and do not necessarily reflect the views of JSE Limited.