- Aspen (JSE code: APN) being vice squeezed.
- Woolies* (JSE code: WHL) trading update, "impact of a potential re-assessment of the carrying value of the David Jones assets". Watch out for the "goodwill write downs are not cash", true but they were paid for with cash.
- Shoprite* (JSE code: SHP) update seemed lighter then I had expected, good but not awesome. That said market liked it and stock is up over 6% since the SENS.
* I hold ungeared positions.
New year resolutions for investors
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
- Stop watching the prices. These are long term investments, check them every so often if you must but certainly not even weekly never mind intra-day.
- Only own stocks that you have at least three strong reasons for owning and revisit these reasons at least once a year.
- Sell the dogs in your portfolio, sell them now (I'll wait).
- Sell anything that is not the best management and be very careful about what qualifies as best management (think Steinhoff).
- Careful of complexity (again Steinhoff).
- Miners and other cyclical stocks are never long term investments.
- ETFs are best and easiest way to create wealth, always have a core of at least 50% ETFs in your portfolio.
- Your first R33k invested every year must go into a low cost ETF tax-free account.
- If you not regularly beating the market over a 1 and 3 year period. Stop trying and just buy ETFs.
- Cost are a big killer.
- Keep it simple.
- Keep it diverse.
JSE – The JSE is a registered trademark of the JSE Limited.
JSEDirect is an independent broadcast and is not endorsed or affiliated with, nor has it been authorised, or otherwise approved by JSE Limited. The views expressed in this programme are solely those of the presenter, and do not necessarily reflect the views of JSE Limited.