- The budget and your investments
- Murray & Roberts (JSE code: MUR) mystery buyer is out, ATM Holding, Munich with now almost 25% stake in MUR. So now what, surely they don't want just 25%?
- Shoprite* (JSE code: SHP) merger is off and their results were excellent. I am a double happy shareholder.
- Adcock Ingram (JSE code: AIP) results show turn around happening but share price seems to be pricing this in already on PE of over 20x.
- Mediclinic (JSE code: MEI), Al Noor a less than rosy acquisition for the company. Why do these big deals always seem to go wrong?
- Upcoming events
* I hold ungeared positions.
Budget 2017 and your investments
Key highlights and how they'll impact various investments;
- Tax-free - annual limit increased to R33,000 a year. Effective 1 March 2017, NOT this tax year.
- Dividend Withholding Tax (DWT) up from 15% to 20%.
- Capital gains tax (CGT), company tax & VAT - no change.
- New top tax bracket at 45% for those earning over R1.5million.
- Sugar - still on the cards.
- Petrol - +39c.
- Relief will be provided in the threshold above which transfer duty is paid from R750 000 to R900 000.
- Social grants;
- The old age grant will increase R1600 for pensioners over the age of 60, and R1620 for those over 75. The disability and care grants increase to R1600. Foster care grants increase to R920.The child support grant increases R380.
JSE – The JSE is a registered trademark of the JSE Limited.
JSEDirect is an independent broadcast and is not endorsed or affiliated with, nor has it been authorised, or otherwise approved by JSE Limited. The views expressed in this programme are solely those of the presenter, and do not necessarily reflect the views of JSE Limited.